Protective Factor for Building a Strong Family: Being Strong and Flexible (Parental Resilience)
Every parent experiences bumps and roadblocks in the parenting journey—especially the first year. It is quite an adjustment as you welcome a new person into the world, then care for that person 24/7. No doubt about it, parenting can be very stressful at times, and it takes an effort to remain positive and protect your baby from your feelings of stress.
We invite you to look back over your first year as a parent and jot down your thoughts for yourself and to share with others. Someday, you may even want to share them with your child.
- What was your favorite part of parenting this year?
- What do see as your greatest strength as a parent right now?
- What was the most stressful part of parenting this year?
- How did you manage the stressful times?
- How did you protect your baby from feeling your stress?
- What happy memories do you want to remember so you can share them with your child or others later?
- In what ways does being resilient as a parent help to protect your child from too much stress?