Select Language
NYS Parent Guide


Resources for Working Parents

A tool for getting information on New York State’s programs and services.

Am I Eligible?
To get a quick idea of what programs you may be eligible for, click on ‘Am I Eligible?’. The questions will take about 10 minutes to answer. Your personal information is not saved after you leave the website.

New Users
If you are a first time user and want to Apply for Benefits you must first create a myBenefits account. Other New York State Agency accounts are not compatible with myBenefits. Begin by clicking on the ‘New Users’ button.

Food Assistance NYC

There are two ways to get free food quickly: get groceries from a food pantry, or a cooked meal from a community kitchen. Find your closest food pantries and community kitchens on the Food Help NYC map. Everyone is eligible for emergency food assistance, regardless of immigration status or how much money you have.

Women, Infant and Child Nutrition Program (WIC)

The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC) offers nutrition education, breastfeeding support, referrals and a variety of nutritious foods to low-income pregnant, breastfeeding or postpartum women, infants and children up to age five to promote and support good health. The foods provided through WIC are a good source of nutrients often missing from the diets of woman and young children. WIC participants have longer, healthier pregnancies and fewer premature births.

NYS Growing Up Healthy Helpline



Find your local WIC office, WIC services and information on nutrition, access to nutritional foods.

Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP NYS)

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) can help eligible New Yorkers heat and cool their homes.

If you are eligible, you may receive one regular HEAP benefit per program year and could also be eligible for emergency HEAP benefits if you are in danger of running out of fuel or having your utility service shut off.

Questions regarding the HEAP program should be directed to your HEAP Local District Contact.

Affordable Connectivity Plan


For NYC specific

The Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) gives your household a $30 discount on internet service every month. You will need to sign up for a plan from a participating internet provider.

NYC Big Apple Connect

NYC's Office of Technology and Innovation officially launched Big Apple Connect in September 2022 to ensure that NYCHA residents have access to free, fast, reliable, and safe internet. NYCHA residents without existing home internet will be able to sign up for Big Apple Connect with either Optimum or Spectrum (service provider will depend on where you live). Existing Optimum and Spectrum customers will have their bills reduced to as low as $0, as monthly internet and basic cable TV charges are eliminated.

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

VITA is a free, IRS-sponsored program to help low and middle-income workers have their federal and State personal income taxes prepared and filed electronically at no cost. VITA also ensures that workers receive all the tax credits to which they are entitled.

Many workers eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or Child Tax Credit (CTC) don’t feel comfortable filling out tax forms themselves. However, commercial tax preparers charge significant fees to prepare a return and offer services that can otherwise be provided at no cost at a VITA site. People eligible for EITC and CTC have a no-cost option — they can have their returns prepared and filed at a VITA site.

Child Care Assistance Program

The New York State Child Care Assistance Program, commonly referred to as the Subsidy Program, is administered by local social services districts (LSSD) and overseen by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS). The goal of the Child Care Assistance Program is to help Temporary Assistance (TA) and low-income families pay for child care in order to help them become self-sufficient.

Loan Forgiveness Programs NYS

Under certain conditions, you may have all or part of your education loans forgiven or cancelled in exchange for performing a qualifying service for a defined period of time. Although you do not have to repay the part of your loan that is forgiven or cancelled, you may owe taxes on the forgiven/cancelled amount in cases where the forgiven/cancelled amount is considered income.